A wind farm owner benefits from a FEED study in three ways: identification of the best possible design options; estimate of the capital and operational cost budget (to within approximately +/- 20%); and delivery of specifications for construction contracts.
DNV GL offers its engineering support services as a single FEED study involving all the following or as a subset of them:
- Collation of site data into design basis documents (for use in FEED work and subsequent project engineering)
- FEED work addressing the key features of a project: electrical design and grid connection, foundation and civil engineering, installation, subsea cables (for offshore) and O&M strategy as well as the interfaces between them
- Identification and analysis of design options to decide on the optimum outline design
- Estimate of capital and operating costs
- Technical specifications and other documents needed for the procurement process
- Specific technical risk and opportunity analyses