This service is offered at the initial stage of project development where developers require a general overview of their site(s) and an assessment of how feasible the site(s) may be. GL Garrad Hassan usually delivers a multi-criteria study of a proposed site, combining a preliminary analysis of the wind resource and expected energy production, foundation concept, interconnection potential, construction complexity and consenting issues. If various sites are being considered, GL Garrad Hassan can also provide a weighted ranking of sites to assist developers in choosing the best one.
A typical service package includes:
- Initial mapping of site constraints e.g. natural features, special uses, regulatory requirements; pre-screening for interference with military operations or other radio-communication issues
- Development of a preliminary layout and therefore capacity of the site
- An initial wind resource (likely to rely on meso-scale wind mapping), energy production and high level financial analysis
- Identification of a range of turbine models, suggested for further consideration at the site
- A grid connection study
- Details of case studies are available on request.